Sunday, January 4, 2009

Encouragement and connecting with students

Last year I did something that I really feel was very successful and so I'm trying it again on Monday.

What I did was print out gradesheets for all of my students (well at my last school with classes of 40, I did a class or two at a time). Then I sat down at home one night and wrote comments on all of them. I started with some positive comments of encouragement. I pointed out their successes. Then I continued with one or two things that I felt they could work on. And ended by asking them a specific question, asking them what I could do to help, or telling them to keep up the great work.

Then I handed out all of these grade sheets and asked that all students respond to my comments. I told them that they could answer questions I had asked them or tell me anything they thought I should know about them or the class.

I got the best responses ever from different students. Some of them had excellent suggestions. Some of them told me that X and Y really helped them and that I should do more of X and Y. Some of them admitted their responsibility. And some even seriously made a plan to improve. The activity was probably one of the best things I could do in such large of classes to truly connect with each student.

Well, as we finish the semester (only 11 class periods left before finals), I want to give my students this year that encouragement and make sure that they know that I am there for them. I want to point out their successes and push them a little on what they need to improve. I'm really hoping for another excellent response to doing this.

I'll update when I start getting responses back.

No comments: